Wednesday, May 20, 2015

BEING HAPPY

I'd like to follow up on my previous post about happiness. Is it possible to be happy at every moment? As my dear friend from England, Carl, reminded me, all of us need to feel sadness if not only so that we can more fully enjoy the happy times. There is much truth in that Carl and I agree. Is it possible to be happy at every moment? I'm sure most of us would agree it is not possible. But even though we don't seem to be able to I still think it is a possibility. Personally I've never known anyone who claims to be happy all the time. As of this moment I haven't learned to be happy every moment but I am still trying. And believe me it does seem to get a little easier each day. Now will I ever reach that state of perpetual happiness? I do have my doubts about that but at least I am becoming more aware of what it takes to be happy in the moment. I'd like to share some examples of what I mean. When I awaken in the mornings and my body is aching from some kind of physical pain, am I happy? No, but I could be happy just knowing I can get up and go about the day. Maybe I won't be feeling great but at least I am still alive. And there is always the chance the pain will ease up or perhaps go away all together. I suffer from chronic pain due to having broken my neck in an automobile accident when I was only 22 years old. The pain never goes away and I admit there are times when I think it is going to get the best of me. But with that being said, I try to remain happy in knowing that the broken neck could have killed me or left me paralyzed from the neck down. So instead of focusing on the pain I try to focus on the fact that I am able to walk around. Another example--How can I remain happy when I see someone I love die? Of course I am sad for the loss but I always remind myself that the one deceased is still with me in spirit and in warm memories. So the sadness is replaced with a sense of being happy once again. This process may take some time but eventually the sadness is gone. Another example is that of suffering from a broken relationship of some kind. I've been through that scene more than once and it is never easy. At those times I found myself really sad at first but I was soon able to see that the relationship had served its purpose and that was a better relationship waiting for me to discover! My happiness did not appear immediately because I am a human being. And grieving a loss of any kind is I suppose, a natural thing. Another example is that of money. Contrary to some beliefs I think money is a good thing! In this world we need money to be able to live a relatively "good" life. When I was much younger I thought money was the answer to all my happiness. And those few times when I found myself broke and penniless I was far from being happy. But as the years have quickly rolled away I discovered I could still be happy even when money was in short supply. Believe me, I know it isn't easy when the bills are due and you don't have the money to pay them. Or when you are hungry and don't know where the next meal is coming from. But I still believe one can be happy even when money is in short supply. The funny thing about money or anything else one may be trying to attain is that the harder you try the harder it becomes to make manifest. I have tried for many years to stop worrying about money and just know that whatever I need will be supplied at the right time. And with that realization I can stay happy. I know this life can seem "hard" and happiness can become so elusive that one may feel like just giving up. At the same time though I truly believe one can remain happy in most every situation if they look deeper into their spiritual center which always remains perfect. Will I ever learn to never be experience sadness? No, I don't think I will. But I can keep on trying. It has been said that one can as happy as they allow themselves to be. So my hope for all of you is that you will set your mind on being happy and work every moment to keep your mind attuned to all the possibilities that are inherent within you. And when you inevitably find yourself feeling sad, take a moment to just look around and see all the beauty that surrounds you. Be safe, do good deeds, love yourself and be happy! Take the road that leads to happiness and don't forget to share that happiness with everyone! Be good to yourself and even better to others. Keep on smiling as happiness rains down on you and yours.

6 comments:

Silentwhisper1 said...

Sending many hugs your way)))))
A grand baby soon.Any minute:)

captron52 said...

Congrats on the new grandbaby Dee! And thanks for all the hugs! As always the very best to you and yours.

E. M. Prokop said...

Hey Ron! Good for you for persevering through pain. That's harsh to have such a serious accident at such a young age.
I deal with chronic pain as well and I know how difficult it is sometimes to decide to be happy in spite of it. Happiness is not always necessary I guess, but days when we're happy have a much better flow to them than days when we're not.
Thanks for another uplifting post and I hope your days are mostly pain free!

captron52 said...

Hi Eve. Great to hear from ya as always! I just don't think much about the pain just keep on being thankful I am able to get around at all. It don't much matter if I am happy or not the pain is still there so I just try to choose happiness. Don't always succeed cause I still have crappy days time to time. Just happy to be alive! Hope the week ahead brings you and yours much happiness and good health! Thanks for stopping in!

christopherdossantos3@gmail.com said...

Namaste brother; to be happy all the time. We all love to feel happy. Physically the DNA stretches out, we expand, consciousness expands. Contrarily, our DNA shrinks, like a folding accordion, consciousness shrinks. Those who are in anyway connected to your body, can feel this happening in real time.

What if a child grew up in a society where consciousness knew itself (I believe this happened over 10,000 years ago, ergo the pyramids). What if this child never were assailed by ego? Well then you would find the point of eternal happiness. But this experience would be so much more than happiness as we know it, it would be bliss, which truly is an entirely different experience. Consciousness must reflect the GodSelf in it's entirety, or there could be no such experience to be had that is unassailable by Ego. Important it is to also note, this reflection of GodSelf would be non dual in nature (beyond Ego), which is what creates bliss.

From this reasoning Ron, I argue it would be impossible to live ones entire life in a state of happiness, if we trespassed upon this ability we would slip into bliss, for it is Ego that creates the illusion of incompleteness which breeds unhappy thoughts, feelings and emotions.

I have contemplated this thought string greatly as love and happiness are such interchangeable adjectives. Thank you for bringing these sentiment to us Ron.

In Lak' ech, prosper with love.... live with joy....

captron52 said...

Hey Christopher Thanks for the visit and for sharing your thoughts on the subject. I agree, it is impossible to spend every moment in this world being happy. But anything is possible. Enjoy the weekend friend.